F Review: Soda Stream...Magic in a Bottle! ~ Critique of the Unique

Featured Video

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Review: Soda Stream...Magic in a Bottle!

While on vacation, I will visit the Le Gourmet Chef store located in the Tanger Outlet Mall in Branson, Mo. This is on the list of things I "must" do before heading out of town toward home. If you have read any of my previous blog entries, it is obvious I am not the best cook, so why would I need to visit a specialty store that features cooking items and more? Simple: I need more flavor!


I'm thinking Ginger Ale would be a good flavor to try, and I must pick up more Cola as we have already depleted a whole bottle of it (which is equalivant to 33 cans of soda) since our Soda Stream arrived.
 
My family drinks a lot of soda, if I let them. Therefore, I made it a policy a long time ago in our home that we would not purchase soda to keep in the house and that we would only have it when we are eating out or on vacation. However, some days when I am doing the grocery shopping, I see that aisle of sodas staring at me as I walk in through the automatic doors. They are right there on the front row, just down from the carts and ice machine. Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper...and I want them. I do. But, I normally turn away and head through this section as quickly as possible. I do the same when I pass the bakery and deli and it is not until I reach the fresh fruit and vegetables do I feel accomplished. Yet, some days, these displays get the best of me. The store associates arrange the sodas in these neat designs, intricate and enticing, and my eye is naturally drawn to them. As I reach for the twelve pack of my favorite flavor, I know I am going against my own plan, but I think about how good it will taste and it's so hot outside, and it's been such a stressful week and I just need a little caffeine...I'm sure you've been there!


Along comes Soda Stream, a.k.a what I have dubbed as "Magic in a Bottle". Soda Stream is an innovative approach toward making carbonated drinks from the convenience of one's own home in about thirty seconds! How great is that?! For the purpose of this review, Soda Stream sent me the Fountain Jet Soda Machine, and a multitude of flavors to test.





 Let me say that this product has been amazing! It's easy. Simply unpack the contents of the box, rinse and fill the included one liter bottle (it comes with two one liter bottles) up to the fill line (clearly marked) and twist onto the Fountain Jet Soda machine. The carbonation is accomplished by the use of a CO2 bottle that attaches to the backside of the machine. Once you have your one liter bottle securely in place, simply push the button on top of the Fountain Jet until three loud buzzes are sounded and then release the bottle, untwist from the machine, add your favorite flavor, gently rock back and forth to mix it and you are done!! Delicious soda anytime you want it, anywhere you desire.


No more carrying cases of water or soda home from the grocery store. No more cans to collect, no more water bottles filling up the landfills. Instead, simply rinse and reuse the included one liter bottles!!

Two One Liter bottles and caps included

Twist off cap on Co2 carbonator
Screw onto back of machine, replace cover
Okay, was it really that easy? Well, yes and no. It is, but only if you follow the directions and not make the same mistakes I made. I did not twist the bottles onto the machine. Instead, I placed the tube coming off the soda stream through the mouth of the bottle and set it in, without twisting. When nothing happened when I pushed the button, I figured out my mistake, but it took some work to get the bottle to come out as it was a tight fit when not placed properly. I haven't made the mistake since then, and now the only trick is to attempt to twist the bottle in one-handed. It takes your other hand to hold the bottle release valve in so that you can twist the bottle on, so one has to be good at maneuvering with one hand. Other than that, it is as simple as that!
Push on button to expose the tip to secure bottle
Be certain to screw the bottle into place

Make sure you hear that loud buzz. It took quite a bit of time before I realized that I was not holding the carbonation button in long enough. When I accidentally held it too long, I discoverd that "buzz" they spoke of in the directions and one should push and release the button three times, hearing three of those loud buzzes in total for the correct amount of carbonation. The soda tasted a little flat until I did this and now they are perfect.You can adjust the amount of fizz by the number of times the button is pushed. For water, it tastes best with only a light carbonation (trust me on this one), and I like a bit more carbonation with the Cola and Root Beer flavors.

There are over 30 flavors of regular soda, diet soda and flavored water to choose from. For a complete list of flavors, go here. Each bottle of the soda flavoring makes 12 liters (or 33 cans) of soda. The soda flavor retails from $4.99-$6.99 per bottle and even after calculating the cost of the CO2 replacement, makes for a great bargain! The carbonators come in two sizes, the 60 liter and the 110 liter bottle (be certain to see which one will fit your particular Soda Stream machine as it varies with different models) which is the equivalent to 170-310 cans of soda! Plus,these bottles can be exchanged through their online system (they pay for shipping) or through retail store outlets to be refilled and used again and again for up to three years.

Although I will be going against my own plan of not having sodas in the home, I do have the satisfaction of knowing that my children will only get soda when I make it for them. I can now regulate how much they drink and when they drink it! No more sneaking a soda to their room, no more empty soda cans to clean up after and best of all, I can have a soda whenever I crave one, and therefore those grocery store displays no longer hold their power over me!!

Some F.Y.I:
  • The opened bottles of flavor must be stored in the fridge, but they don't take up much room at all. In fact, I placed mine in the door shelf with the condiments, so I don't miss any open fridge space at all. 
  • If you lose a cap or damage a bottle, don't fret. Replacements are available on the website.
  • The diet soda is flavored with Splenda and contain no aspartame or sugar.
  • The flavors have less sodium, caffeine, calories and carbohydrates than the leading competitor.
  • Soda Stream offers a two year warranty on their products
  • Soda Stream uses no electricity or batteries to power it, so can be taken anywhere!
  • Refer to Soda Stream's website for other FAQ.

The Good: Soda Stream is a Earth Friendly and Active Green product and company. By using Soda Stream versus purchasing bottled water or canned or bottled sodas, one is making an impact toward preserving our environment and every little bit helps! It is easy, economical and fun! It's so easy that my ten year old can make sodas by herself!

The Bad: Soda Stream is not yet available in all cities, so to get one, one must order it online from their website, or visit this page to find a location close to home! I do worry about the quality of the Fountain Jet as it is made of plastic, and I fear it will get cracked over time. Exchanging the Co2 will become easier once one has more than one container on hand, but the initial cost of these carbonators can be a little pricey, however over time, it is more economical to have a steady supply on hand.

Overall, this is a product I would recommend to my family and friends (as I have already done) and it makes a great gift for anyone-grandparents, students, campers, soda collectors and more. I can proudly say that our home is a Soda Stream home, and we will definitely be visiting their site in the months to come for more delicious flavors!
A thumb's up in this house means it's a keeper!!
  


FTC guidelines require me to disclose that I received a Soda Stream machine and flavor mixes for the purpose of this review at no cost to me. I received no monetary compensation and the opinions herein are my own honest opinions. Others opinions may vary. I am in no manner affiliated with Soda Stream.

What Soda Stream flavor would you pick to replace your current brand of soda? Where do you see yourself using this product the most?


Photobucket

10 comments:

Sounds like a must have! I've heard of this before, but I had no idea it took less than a minute to make. I love the idea of no pop cans!

I love my SodaStream! Isn't it wonderful and SO easy

I love my sodastream too and the kids can drink it too without hearing a no !!!

Glad you enjoyed it. I love my soda stream.

This sounds so cool! I would really love to try it out on my soda addicted self!

I've seen this a lot around the blogosphere latley, I want to try one! I can't enter any of the giveaways because they aren't open to Canadians so until then I will live through you! thanks for sharing!

I loooooove my Soda Steam! I couldn't believe how quickly it works and how wonderful it tastes! We try not to drink a lot of pop in my house - but this makes the perfect amount for two when we happen to be in the mood for such a thing!

Thanks for following my blog!!

I have one and LOOOOOVVVE it! It truly makes the best Ginger Ale we have ever tasted!

Ana

I think it's so fun that you can make your own soda! I would want to make root beer! I really like that this cuts down on wasted plastic bottles. This could make quite a big difference in the amount of plastic trash in the American home!

Post a Comment

Love your feedback! Remember to include your email address in your profile or on your first post for any giveaway entries or they will be disqualified.

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites